History of St. Luke's Episcopal Church
St. Luke’s was organized in 1873, two years before the appointment of the first Bishop of the Diocese of Kentucky, and just three years before the incorporation of the city of Anchorage. In 1897, the women of the parish organized The St. Luke’s Guild, which played a pivotal role in the life and growth of the church in its early years.
On October 4, 1908, the cornerstone of the present church was laid and dedicated to the memory of Bishop Thomas Underwood Dudley, Kentucky’s first Bishop.
In 1932, after just being ordained into the priesthood, the Rev. Robert Corcoran Board was appointed rector of St. Luke’s. Mr. Board, as parishioners like to call him, faithfully and tirelessly served the congregations of St. Luke’s and St. James, in Pewee Valley, for 42 years, until his retirement in 1975.
The Church’s building is an English Gothic design by Arthur Loomis, a prominent Louisville architect. The building is constructed of Kentucky limestone quarried in Pewee Valley. Mr. and Mrs. Loomis were very generous to St. Luke’s, both with their dedication and financial commitment to the parish.
St. Luke’s history is blessed with the dedication of people like Fr. Board, the generosity of people like Arthur Loomis, and the creativity and perseverance of its congregation. These people, and many more, have helped to create the compassionate community St. Luke’s is today.
1206 Maple Lane, Anchorage, KY 40223